Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Faces of America

     The Faces of America is one of my favorite videos I've seen in any class to date. I found it very interesting to see a number of noteworthy Americans learn about their history. The video really put into perspective how almost everyone in America is a descendant of an immigrant. Now, I see a bit of irony in someone who opposes immigration (and I've seen many who do!). How can a descendant of an immigrant be opposed to immigration? In watching this video, I learned that a person's history is more complex than he or she might imagine, and even though one might know a lot about their family's history, there is always more to learn. Watching the show made me want to learn as much as I could about where I come from.

     Because our nation is made up of people from around the world, I see "nation of immigrants" meaning just that literally:  but at the same time I feel as though Americans should continue to be open to (legal) immigration, seeing as how almost all of us are descendants of immigrants. Because our culture is so diverse, we get to experience the food, music, religion, and many other aspects of many different cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment